Take Action: Here are the top four ways you can help extend the New Markets Tax Credit.
1. Build support for the House Extension Bill (H.R. 4365)
Ask your Representative to cosponsor HR. 4365, the New Markets Tax Credit Extension Act of 2014, introduced by Reps. Gerlach (R-PA) and Neal (D-MA).
2. Build support for the Senate Extension Bill (S. 1133)
Ask your Senator to cosponsor S. 1133, the New Markets Tax Credit Extension Act of 2013, introduced by Senators Rockefeller (D-WV) and Blunt (R-MO).
3. Write an Op-Ed
Submitting an opinion piece to your local or state press is a great way to bring attention to the impact of the NMTC in your community. Highlight the projects and the effect the Credit has had on economic growth as well as creating and retaining jobs where they are needed the most.
4. Invite Members of Congress to Visit a NMTC Financed Business
Getting a Member of Congress to visit a NMTC financed business is simply one of the most powerful ways to advocate for the extension.
Consider extending an invitation when you visit Congressional staff in DC or contract their district office with potential dates and possible NMTC financed businesses that would be of interest. Visit our In District Advocacy toolkit to learn more.
- Senate Extension:
- House Extension Legislation:
- 2013 NMTC Progress Report
- NMTC Coalition Paper on Tax Reform – Submission to the Senate Finance Committee + (Attachment case studies)
- NMTC Coalition Paper on Tax Reform – Submission to House Ways and Means Tax Reform Working Groups
- NMTC Economic Impact Report
- NMTC State Profile One-Pagers
- The NTMC: At Work in Communities Across America
- The Top Ten Things Congress Should Know About the NMTC
- NMTC Fact Sheet
- In District Advocacy Toolkit
- NMTC Sign-on letter – March 2014 (over 1,400 businesses, nonprofits, and community leaders).
- House sign-on letter (circulated by Reps. Stivers (R-OH) and Michaud (D-ME). Learn more.
- NMTCC Extension Sign-on-2013 (over 1,200 businesses, nonprofits, and community leaders!)
- Broad Business Extender Sign-on Letter from 112th Congress
- Sample letter of support from extension campaign
About the 113th Congress
The One Hundred Thirteenth United States Congress is the current meeting of the legislative branch. It is composed of the United States Senate and the United States House of Representatives based on the results of the 2012 Senate elections and the 2012 House elections. The seats in the House were apportioned based on the 2010 United States Census. It first met in Washington, D.C. on January 3, 2013, and is scheduled to end on January 3, 2015. Senators elected to regular terms in 2008 are in the last two years of those terms during this Congress.
Materials from the last extension campaign (112th Congress):
- House Bill text
- Cosponsor list
- Fact sheet
- Sample letter urging a member of the House to extend the NMTC
- Dear Colleague signed by Reps. Gerlach (R-PA), Neal (D-MA), Tiberi (R-OH), and Lewis (D-GA)
Senate Bill (S. 996):
- NMTC Economic Impact Report (New!)
- The NTMC: At Work in Communities Across America (New!)
- Sign-on support letter (over 1,000 businesses, nonprofits, and community leaders!)
- 2012 NMTC Progress Report
- NMTC Infographic
- Broad Business Extender Letter
- Target list
- Advocacy Toolkit for Congressional Recess