1401 Howard Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
Rehabilitation of the historic St. Joseph’s Church, vacant since the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake, into creative incubator offices and outdoor community space. Chris Foley and Polaris Pacific has completed the conversion of the historic church into approximately 22,000 square feet of creative office space with approximately 10,000 square feet of outdoor community space. The property was part of the community for over 150 years. After the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake, the property was red tagged (deemed uninhabitable) by the City and vacated by The Archdiocese of San Francisco. In 2007, the project Sponsor acquired the project with the initial idea to redevelop the property into a residential project. However, the City and preservation community wanted the property to maintain its original character. As a result, based upon their feedback, the project Sponsor spent more than 4 years obtaining the necessary approvals to transform the building into office and community assembly space with a cafe.