Phase 1 of the Livingston Buildings historic rehabilitation created a mixed-use structure.
Background: Main Street Poughkeepsie has been the commercial and retail hub for three centuries. Fires and remodeling of storefronts have altered many 19th C facades, but the streetscape retains its historic character. Main Mall Row is named after the pedestrian mall developed during urban renewal in the 1970s and 80s, and re-opened as Main Street in 2001. Individual buildings that offer a window into the city’s retail history on the historic register include: the Grant Building, WellesZimmerman Building and Livingston Buildings. The Luckey, Platt & Co. Dept. Store (1901) advertised itself as the mid-Hudson Valley’s department store with signs stretching eastward to the Connecticut border. Lady Washington Hose Company and Fire House, Niagara Fire House and O. H. Booth Hose Company are three of Poughkeepsie’s early firehouses (19081909) located in the Main Street corridor.