In 2005, AZ Board of Regents (ABOR) began rehabilitating three vacant historic Phoenix Union High School (PUHS) buildings totaling 90,000 square feet for use by the University of Arizona College of Medicine. The campus was built in 1911 and the buildings were placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
The rehabilitation of these structures was part of the downtown Phoenix bioscience campus development, which eliminated blight in the downtown core while spurring new development and job opportunities. The project preserves three historic buildings and serves as a catalyst for the bioscience campus development. In addition, this project helped address the growing need for physicians and nurses within the community.